Sunday, August 2, 2009

A tourist's day in Mumbai !

For the first time since I’ve arrived here in Mumbai, today I’ve finally gotten a chance to visit the centre and explore the city.

A breathtaking 45min train ride (“Nadja, just push as much as you can and jump in!”) started our journey. Different compartments for women and men make the ride more comfortable. And girls selling hairclips, stickers, etc. made it even a little shopping experience. J

Haji Ali Dargah is a muslim (sikh) tomb on a small island you can only reach at low tide. While the way is totally flodded with water during high tide, the low tide attracts many visitors: believers, tourist and also beggars. I honestly had a hard time walking through them. Many people with visible diseases, most leprosy, tiny children and other unfortunate border the way to this holy shrine. I was glad to have my friends around. However, the visit was totally worth the hastle, it was a very nice experience. This place just has a very special charism.



Seeing the huge garbage piles on the shore on our way back shocked me a bit… but somehow it just seems to be an accepted part of the city.
Afterwards we walked around in Colaba, probably the richest and most touristy place in Mumbai. Beautiful heritage buildings and street shops made me walk up and down. And I’m very proud that I was able to bargain like an Indian and got my pants for 120 instead of 260 Rupees. J

All in all: an absolutely amazing day! I love the impressions in my mind, the great fun we had and that I’ve finally had the chance to see a beautiful little chunk of this huge city. Mumbai is an extraordinary place; I hope I’ll have more time to explore it.

1 comment:

Simone said...

i really enjoy your posts/updates, great pics!
keep it up :-)
bisoubisou