Sunday, February 21, 2010

Life Signs Part 1 – Office : Efficiently Inefficient

Yes, I’m still in India. Yes I’m still enjoying a lot. Yes, I admit, it’s been quite a while since my last blog entry. This has 3 major reasons: 1st, I was a bit lazy, 2nd I had a special visitor from Switzerland and consequently and 3rdly I was travelling and exploring the country a lot instead of sitting at home at my computer. J

Before I’ll share my traveling experiences, I’ll update you a bit about my job. I’m currently still in Baroda and enjoying my job more and more. I have started many activities for the associates to increase their domain and language knowledge. And I realized that the only way to become more efficient here is to adapt the inefficient Indian work approach. For example, what would you do if you had to communicate q simple message to 15 people who all sit in different teams across the centre? You’d probably send a mail, try to arrange a meeting with all of them or discuss the issue with key people and ask them to cascade the information etc, etc. Are you thinking on the same lines? Ok, now rethink your approach because all these means are highly useless here. Would you go and meet everyone personally and explain him/her what you wanted to say? I agree it seems totally inefficient, because it might take you a full day to meet everyone, instead of 15minutes of writing an explanatory mail which everyone would be able to understand your point. But it’s the only way to make things happen. I’ve learned this today… I can proudly say, I have efficiently become inefficient. J

My team and me at the inauguration of our project sometime back in October. The indian guy in the middle is the boss of our whole Baroda Center.

As part of the Janus Program n which I’m in, I should be relocated to another team and location in April. I don’t know the details yet, but I’m looking forward to that chance to see a different area of this big company. Supposedly the whole program consists of 18months in which we occupy 3 different posts. My contract with TCS is for 1 year, but if some good opportunity opens for me I’m flexible to adapt this a bit. Let’s see what will happen.

Proud to be a TCSer :)
at the Mumbai office in my first month in India.

1 comment:

nz said...

... like you post...
:-)